Janet Johnstone; 63, British (Devon, now Liverpool)
How much does it take to cook it?
10 - 15 min
Cooking utensils What are the necessary tools for cooking the dish?
Oven, bowl, baking sheet, tray.
People For how many people?
Ingredients List of ingredients with quantity.
8 heaped tbspn (8oz/225g) SR flour (can be wholemeal)
2 level tbsspn (2oz?50g) margarine
1 rounded tbspn (1oz/25g) sugar
¼ pint milk 150ml
1. Preheat oven 220°C/gas 7
2. Lightly grease a baking tray
3. Sift flour into a large bowl, and rub in the margarine
4. Stir in sugar
5. Sprinkle all the milk on top of the mixture, stir with a knife to make soft dough. Knead lightly.
6. Press out to 5cm thick with hand, cut out circles, ad repeat with leftovers (you will make 8 scones).
7. Put the circles onto greased tray, and glaze with extra milk.
8. Bake at the top of the oven for 10 minutes, well risen, split and golden brown. Cool on a rack.
Add 50g dried fruit at method 4
Practical tips and secrets Any secret to make the recipe tastier?
Use the above recipe but leave out the sugar.
Sift ½ tspn mustard powder and a pinch of cayenne pepper. At method 3.
Grate 100g of cheese and add 75g at method 4.
Sprinkle the rest of cheese on top of the scones before baking.
Plain and fruit scones: serve with butter and jam or clotted cream and jam/strawberries.
Cheese scones: packed lunches, instead of bread with soup!
This project has been funded with support from the European
Commission.This publication reflects the views only of the author, and
the Commission cannot be held responsible for any use which may be made
of the information contained therein.